1. Set The Intentions
It is important to set the intentions for the ceremony. Meaning, say a prayer before you start. No, this doesn’t have to be religious or “church-esque” at all. Whatever YOU want this to be. This is more about banishing negative energy. Before you start, you can say a simple line like " I cleanse and remove all the negative energy from this place."
2. OPEN ALL THE WINDOWS!!!
HUGE guys, the windows MUST remain open, ALL of them, before, during, and after the ceremony. Not just for the sake of smoke, but to tie it into our practice as well. All of that negativity must travel somewhere right? If we’re untrapping it from the house and our safe space – the spiritual ceremony will guide it out the windows alongside the smoke of the sage.
- Light the end of a sage bundle. Blow out quickly if it catches on fire.
- The tips of the leaves should smolder slowly, releasing thick smoke. Direct this smoke around your body and space with one hand while holding the bundle in the other.
- Allow the incense to linger on the areas of your body or surroundings you’d like to focus on. Using a fan or feather can also help direct the smoke, though this is optional.
- Allow the ash to collect in a ceramic bowl or shell.
- If saging a space – some say working clockwise direction around the home or space has a more spiritual connection and effect than going counterclockwise. Do what feels right to you.
- You can smudge certain objects as well. A new piece of jewelry, crystals or something of importance to you.
- After the ceremony is over – make sure the sage stick is entirely extinguished.